Levi Newton House

 

Levi Newton House.jpg

 

 

 

The Levi Newton House was the Library’s home from 1902–1921. This house was the Library’s fourth location (from 1902–1921) and the first building actually owned by the Library. Mary M. Newton, following the wishes and plans of her husband, the late Captain Don Carlos Newton, presented the property, the red brick Levi Newton homestead, to the Board of Library Trustees. The librarian, Margaret R. Twining, welcomed the community to the “beautiful Library home” with the words, “So come, friends, one and all, and we will do the very best we can for you.” In November 1921, the Library moved to the D. C. Newton house next door, so that the City of Batavia could extend Wilson Street, which ended at the Levi Newton house on Batavia Avenue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bernard J. Cigrand, the “Father of Flag Day.”

 

 

father of flag day.jpg

 

 

 

The stars and stripes is reflected in the dental mirror, a tribute to Bernard J. Cigrand, a Batavia dentist and the “Father of Flag Day.” From the late 1880s on, Cigrand spoke around the country promoting patriotism, respect for the flag, and the need for the annual observance of a flag day on June 14. The Continental Congress approved the design of a national flag on 14 June 1977. Cigrand moved to Batavia in 1912 and built a house at 1184 South Batavia Avenue, which still stands. He practiced dentistry in the lower level of his home until 1920, when he moved his practice to 47½ Fox Street in Aurora, so that his son might practice with him. Cigrand continued to live in Batavia until 1932, the year he died. After 30 years of Cigrand’s advocacy, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed June 14 as Flag Day in 1916. The United States Congress formally made the proclamation law in August 1949.