THE BATAVIA HISTORIAN

Volume Thirty-Seven

No. 3

 

July, 1996

The Fox River Sanitarium 

by Marilyn Robinson

 

 

 

Do you know this building?

 

building.jpg

 

In 1926 when Bessie Hirschberg worked in a cigar factory in Chicago, she found facilities for caring for the tubercular poor were inadequate. Hirschberg began collecting pennies from the poor and formed the Chicago Consumptive Aid Society. Her husband s.aw an ad in the newspaper offering river-front land for sale in Batavia. When $150,000 was raised, the Soci-ety took possession of the land, and the Fox River Sanitarium was built in the early 1930s. Batavia was chosen because it was far enough from Chicago to escape the city's noises, but close enough that patients could be near loved ones and be comforted by frequent visits.

 

A Chicago and North Western commuter train ran along the river and visitors from Chicago could get to the hospital by train. The Fox River Sanitarium was a pioleer in TB care. It was directed along the lines of a modern hospital with sunny rooms, wards, solaria, modern operating rooms, sterilizing equipment, X-ray facilities, and a dental facility so fine that is was said patients lost all fear of going to the dentist.

 

Most patients in the sanitarium were those who were in advanced stages of the disease. They were all from Chicago, mostly of the Jewish faith, and stayed for prolonged periods. Usually there were about 50 patients in the hospital at anyone time. In 1940 the hospital treated 128 patients. In that year the Society raised and gave to the hospital $65,275 of which $50,000 was used to run the hospital and treat patients. Nurses worked for 32 cents an hour, 10 hours a day, and did all types of work. A private duty nurse worked 20 hours a day and slept in the room with the patient.

The sanitarium was a town unto itself. There were out buildings around the hospital, and it had its own wells and sewage disposal plant. There were cement walks leading from one build-ing to another, and the grounds were beautifully landscaped.

 

All food served in the hospital was prepared in adherence to Jewish culinary laws, Nearly all food not grown on the property was donated through the Society in Chicago and brought to Batavia by train. The hospital was built on land previ-ously owned by Hamilton Browne. Mr. and Mrs. Browne lived in a very large white house there. The first patients at the sanitarium who were mobile stayed in the house. It stood in the clump of trees still near the Michealsen Center. The old, curving driveway to the house is visible just south of the intersection of Fabyan Parkway and Batavia Avenue.

 

Jeff Schielke remembers when the house was razed in 1974. He recalls it as a two or three story Victorian that was neglected and badly overgrown. The house and the sanitarium were both neglected after the hospital closed for people were afraid the buildings were contaminated. Even when the hospital was in operation, local citizens pretty much ignored it, according to Jeff.

 

The Society soon built a long wooden building for bed patients, with rooms on either side of a long hallway, all opening onto a porch so that patients could be outdoors in all weather an aid in curing tuberculosis. The cornerstone for the permanent building was laid in 1926. The hospital closed in 1958 or 59.

 

The Holmstad purchased the land in the early 70's for its campus. Schielke visited the hospital in '74' after Holmstad took possession. He recalls that all the equipment and supplies were still in place. The beds were made, and white sheets covered the examining tables. "It was as though everyone just left, locked the doors and never came back," he said. The building today is Holmstad's Colonial House at 831 North Batavia Avenue.

This article is condensed from Batavia Places and the People Who Called Them Home by Marilyn Robinson. This copyrighted material is used by permission of the author who reserves all other rights. A copy of Robinson's book can be obtained at the Depot Museum.


Batavia Windmillers Trade Fair Makes History

by Francine McGuire-Popeck

 

 

The 8th International Windmillers Trade Fair, held in Batavia between June 12-15th, attracted 324 registered attendees, almost double the highest attendance figure from any of the previous Fairs that were held in other cities. The Fair was indeed "international" with representation from South Africa, the Netherlands, and Canada. In addition, thanks to excellent media coverage, the Fair was well attended by the general public, drawing hundreds of residents from Batavia, other Fox Valley and surrounding suburbs, Chicago, and Downstate Illinois.

 

The Windmillers Trade Fair Com-mittee, consisting of Bob Popeck, President, and Francine Popeck, Secretary, of the Historical Society Board, Carla Hill, Curator of the Depot Museum, and Donna Dallesase, Director of the Batavia Chamber of Commerce, extend our thanks to the many Batavians who helped make this event so successful. Special appreciation is given to the many Historical Society members who staffed the Depot Museum, which had extended hours during the days of the Trade Fair, the temporary Windmill Museum, our Arts and Crafts booth, and the many special events held during the Fair, including the "old timer" talk sessions held at the formerwindmill factories.

 

A consistent compliment was paid to our townspeople by all who at-tended the Fair. They found Batavia to be full of extremely friendly people who also take great pride in their town and it history. Ken and Sharen O'Brock from Ohio wrote us: "We wanted you to know how much we appreciate ... the beautiful display of windmills, river walk, welcome signs, clean city, friendly folks and your hospitality. (These) made for one of the biggest and best yet trade

fairs. Our special "THANKS" to all the volunteers who helped ... "

 

Thanks also to those members who donated windmill-related items to the Society and those who loaned us items for display at the temporary Windmill Museum. Many visitors thought that this museum was a per-manent one and, believe me, by the time it was set up we wished it could be. The old Appleton Windmill Manu-facturing factory, now City Hall, was an ideal setting for the museum as it is centrally located, at street and eye level, and still "authentic" in its pre renovated condition. Windmills have long been an important part of our town's history and identity. The Trade Fair exhibited that our windmill heritage is a draw for visitors as well. It may behoove us to explore the possibility of a separate museum like space to house windmill-related items and other large items in the Society's collection.

 

The Trade Fair Committee also thanks the Historical Society Board for agreeing to fund the videotape coverage of the Trade Fair. Close to 20 reels of videotape were shot dur-ing the event. This will be a wonderful addition to our archives. Once funds have been raised to create an edited 20-minute videotape of this footage, there could be numerous avenues for use of this video: 1) As an educational tool at our schools, 2) To promote Batavia tourism, and 3) To market copies to those who attended the Trade Fair.

 

As Marilyn Robinson commented to me, "It's nice to see a Trade Fair that draws people who are interested in history, not in making money." Imagine ... tourists coming to Batavia because of our history. It happened at a Trade Fair held this past June what can we do to introduce more people to our proud history?


 

More on the Newton Memorials

 

by James Hanson

 

Editor' Note: In "The Newton Memorials" in the last issue, Jim Hanson wrote about the Newton Monument in the West Batavia Cemetery, the New-ton Observatory at Allegheny College in Pennsylvania, and the Newtons' in-volvement in the building of the present Batavia United Methodist Church. Some readers were undoubtedly curious about the connection between the Newtons and Allegheny College, and Jim now fills us in on the background.

 

The relationship of the Newton Monument and the Newtons is easy to understand considering Don Carlos Newton's service in the Civil War. It is also apparent the Newtons were ac-tively interested and active in the Methodist Church. But why a gift to a small college in western Pennsylvania? A little history and a few assumptions may help to explain.

Allegheny College, founded in 1815, was a well respected school  affiliated with the Methodist Church which was located about 150 miles from Attica, NY, where Levi Newton, D.C. Newton's father, operated a wagon factory.

 

Around 1850 (available refer-ences vary as to exact date) D.C. Newton attended Allegheny College for one year. After his father's factory was destroyed by fire in April, 1854, Levi decided to move to Kane County to rebuild. The entire family including D.C., who had married the previous year, came to Batavia in September, 1854, and Levi and his son entered into a partnership to build wagons. This eventually became the Newton Wagon Co., one of Batavia's leading industries in the late 1800s.

 

In 1878 Don Carlos and his wife, Mary, built and lived in the house on the northwest corner of Batavia Avenue and Wilson Street that today is an office building. They had three or four children (again references vary), all of whom died before reaching the age of six. When Mary Newton's niece died iii 1892, Mary raised her two year old son, Carl Newton More. In 1902 Mary gave the public library the use Jf the Levi Newton home, which stood at what today is the middle of West Wilson Street between the Newton House and Gammon Corner. When the city determined it needed to extend Wilson Street west and tear down the Levi Newton home, the D.C. Newton home was purchased and served as the library until the present one was built.

 

Even though D.C. Newton attended Allegheny for only one year, it seems logical to assume he had maintained an interest in it. The school's Methodist affiliation would certainly have also influenced a decision to give it support. In the early 1900s the college's president, William Crawford, visited Batavia one or more times. As he was noted for greatly increasing enroll-ments, faculty and facilities at Allegheny, these visits may have been part of trips to encourage enrollments and donations.

 

Carl More may have attended the college after graduation from high school in 1907, which would relate to his great-aunt's support for the school. As noted in the article on the Newton memorials in the last issue, information regarding Allegheny College and the Newton Observatory was researched by the late Tom Mair and was given to Jim Hanson several years ago the city determined it needed to extend Wilson Street west and tear down the Levi Newton home, the D.C. Newton home was purchased and served as the library until the present one was built. Even though D.C. Newton attended Allegheny for only one year, it seems logical to assume he had maintained an interest in it. The school's Methodist affiliation would certainly have also influenced a decision to give it support. In the early 1900s the college's president, William Crawford, visited Batavia one or more times.

 

As he was noted for greatly increasing enroll-ments, faculty and facilities at Allegheny, these visits may have been part of trips to encourage enrollments and donations. Carl More may have attended the college after graduation from high school in 1907, which would relate to his great-aunt's support for the school. As noted in the article on the Newton memorials in the last issue, information regarding Allegheny College and the Newton Observatory was researched by the late Tom Mair and was given to Jim Hanson several years ago.


Willis L. Grimes and Batavia's New Post Office-1896

by Marilyn Robinson

 

In June 1896, a model post office was opened in Batavia under the direction of Postmaster Willis L. Grimes. It was advertised as modern, convenient and substantial and was located in the vanNortwick Building on Wilson Street. This building contains the school administration offices along with other businesses today. The building was a solid brick and stone structure with substantial space where mail would be comparatively safe from fire and with special vaults and appropriate fixtures. William M. and John S. vanNortwick leased the space to the government for a period of five years. They allowed the government to use their fixtures and office equipment.

 

When a postal inspector came to examine the new office, he accepted it and complimented the city on having a postmaster who demonstrated such enterprise as to work for this public improvement. The business of the post office was very large for a city of Batavia's size. In 1895 the receipts of the office amounted to $13,000, the largest ever recorded. This spoke well for the business interests of Batavia, her manufacturers and businessmen. Mr. Grimes had a greater goal. He wished FREE DELIVERY for Batavia. Had the postal service not run out of money, the service would have been already in Batavia. (It did come later in the year, and Mr. Grimes asked all citizens to furnish a container for the carrier to put the mail in.)

 

Postmaster Grimes had an able corps of assistants. Deputy Charles Grimes, Otto Konrad and Miss Mamie Feeney were courteous, accommodating and proficient. Willis L. Grimes was born in Batavia August 20, 1854. He received his educa-tion at the East Side Public School. At 16, he found employment with the C.B.&Q. RR as weigh master and assistant ticket agent for a year and a half at East Batavia. He was later transferred to the West Side, and afterwards he was agent at South Ottawa and LaGrange. He left the railroad in 1875 and became a clerk until March 1886 with the exception of three years while he engaged in farming.

 

June 1, 1881, he was married to Annie E. Shaw. They had three daughters, Reba, Ellie Madge, and Florence.

From an early age, he took a great interest in politics and was a staunch Democrat like his father. For the past few years, he had been the cashier in the vanNortwick Bank. He had been Postmaster of Batavia since 1886, having been appointed by President Cleveland.


Herbert T. Windsor and the Batavia National Bank

 

by Elliott Lundberg

 

Herbert T. Windsor, builder of the first electric railway in the west, the Chicago, Harvard, and Geneva Lake Railroad, moved to Batavia about 1912 and built a magnificent home the 26-room house at 717 N. Batavia Avenue that now houses the Holy Heart of Mary Novitiate. Soon after, he was elected a director of the Batavia National Bank, becoming President in 1918 and Chairman of the Board in 1958, a position he held until his death in 1964.

 

The son of a Congregational min-ister from England who came to serve as a missionary to the Indians, Windsor was born in Sycamore, Illi-nois, on December 9, 1868. There was obvious talent in the family: his only brother, H.H. Windsor, was the founder and owner of Popular Me-chanics magazine. When I came to work at the Batavia National Bank in 1947, Windsor was still the President. Walter R. Johnson was Vice President, and Ernest R. Nelson was the Cashier. There were four women employees, Ruth Freedlund, Gladys Noren, Eleanor Issei, and Doris Perna so I, as the fourth male, evened the ratio. Windsor was then 79. Although no longer active in the daily operations, he had a desk in the directors' room and came to the bank daily. He kept busy with various jobs, one of which was preparing tax returns, mainly for farmers, early each year.

 

A duty he performed daily involved walking to the First National Bank of Batavia, which was then located at 4 W. Wilson Street, to exchange checks. At about 10 each morning, the First National Bank would call to advise the total of Batavia National Bank checks they had paid the previous day and in the morning. The bank with the lower total would issue a check for the difference in totals -- the Batavia clearing house -- which provided for a fast collection of checks.

The delivery of currency and coin from the Federal Reserve Bank was not yet being provided by armored trucks. Each Thursday morning, the weekly delivery of currency and coin was by U.S. mail; it had to be picked up at the Post Office. So, each Thursday morning when Windsor walked to first National Bank to exchange checks, he would also stop at the Post Office and pick up the currency. Because the coin was too heavy for him to carry, it was picked up later by car.

 

Into his eighties, H.T. Windsor -- a short man -- could be seen each Thursday, carrying the very visible Federal Reserve Bank bag, usually containing from $15,000 to $30,000, over the bridge to the Batavia National Bank. For some reason Windsor purported not to understand, Chief of Police Russel A. Clark, better known as "Ruck," thought that a man in his eighties walking from Island Avenue over the bridge to River Street with a bag clearly full of cash was not the kind of thing the Batavia Police needed. So Ruck suggested that he escort H.T. Windsor on his weekly journey, a suggestion that Windsor promptly vetoed. After Ruck appealed to Walter R. Johnson, then the Presi-dent of the bank, Windsor grudgingly agreed to accept an escort -- which he still claimed was 10.jpgunnecessary.

 

The next Thursday the police were advised when Windsor was to be at the Post Office. When he arrived and got the bag of currency, Ruck Clark was not there, so Windsor walked across the bridge unattended. Soon Ruck, who had been out on a call, arrived at the bank, wondering what had happened. Windsor said he would not wait; if the police wanted to escort him, they would have to be there on time. That ended the escort idea. Fortunately he continued carrying the currency across the bridge without incident until the armored car service to the bank was initiated -- probably satisfying hini that there had never been a need for an escort."

 

In the last months of his life when he could no longer come to the bank, his wife would pick up work for him to do at home. In 1964, at the age of 93 years and 8 months. Herbert T. Windsor died. Walter Johnson, his successor, retired from the bank at the age of 75 and lived to be 94 years and 7 months. Ernest Nelson, Vice Presi-dent at the time of the ill fated escort service, retired at the age of 75 and lived to be 94 years and 1 month. The Batavia National Bank is now the First Chicago Bank of Batavia.


Bits of This and That

 

Normally the copies of each newsletter mailed to members in-clude a quarterly treasurer's report and the secretary's summary of the minutes of meetings held since the last issue. Because of the pressures of time (the treasurer/editor is trying to get material to the printer before leaving on vacation and the secretary has been tied up with the Windmillers Trade Fair) and space constraints, we are not including those reports in this mailing.

 

We will, however, catch up on these important matters in the next issue. October 6 may seem a long way off, but mark your calendar. That is when the Batavia ACCESS Heritage Committee will hold its always popular cemetery walk. This year will feature the West Side Cemetery. The May-June 1996 issue of American Heritage magazine favorably reviewed How the Other Half Lived: A People's Guide to American Historical Sites by Philip Burnham.

 

The author, who grew up in Batavia, is the son of member Ruth Burnham. Copies are available at Robin's Book Shop in Geneva. Although arrangements are still in progress, Patty Will, our vice-president and prograr:n chairman, says that an outstanding program is in the works for the September general meeting. Members will be notified by post card regarding date, time and place well in advance of the meeting.


 

1896 Holy Cross Cornerstone Opened-sWhat Was In It?

by William Wood

 

 

Editor's Note: In connection with the recent dedication of the former Holy Cross Church as the Batavia Park District's Eastside Community Center, officials of the Park District eagerly looked forward to the opening of the church's hundred year-old cornerstone. Bill Wood tells us what they expected to find and what they did find.

 

 

The recent opening of the corner stone of the former Holy Cross Church and the retrieval of the box sealed there in 1896 provided both information and mystery. Roberta Campbell, late writer and journalist, wrote a series of articles in the Batavia Chronicle during the Batavia Sesquicentennial year of 1983. In the November 4th issue she told of finding an article in the Batavia Herald of August 6th, 1896, reporting on the "impressive ceremonies of laying the cornerstone for the Holy Cross Church."

 

"A box, hermetically sealed, was deposited in the cornerstone. It con-tained several U.S. coins, antiquated foreign coins, a copy of each of the local papers, a church paper of the Diocese and the written parchment all covered with stars and stripes." When the box, in poor condition, was opened only one local paper was found, the Batavia Weekly News of Thursday, July 30, 1896, the competi-tor to the Batavia Herald. The Chicago Archdiocesan newspaper, The New World, Saturday, August 1, 1896, selling for five cents was also included. The newspapers are in somewhat fragile condition, damaged by moisture. They reflect the news of the day, with importance given to the upcoming nomination of William Jennings Bryan to run against William McKinley for President of the United States.

 

Five coins were found, all in good condition. Two one cent pieces were included; one Canadian for 1884 and one U.S. for the year of 1846. A United States three cent piece of ;1843, slightly smaller than the current dime, is in fairly good shape, rather worn. An 1877 5 ore Swedish coin has the words "Brodrafolken Val" encircling the edge. To date we have a loose translation of "Well thought of Sister Nation." The remaining coin, dated 1815, is copper and the size of our seldom seen half-dollar. One side carries the words (in descending order) HALF PENNY TOKEN. Encircling the edge of the coin are the words "Pure Copper Preferable To Paper." The reverse side has a threemasted sailing ship and the words "Trade and Navigation."

 

Missing, along with the Batavia Herald, is the parchment. To again quote the Batavia Herald, "The parch-ment, which is genuine and written in India ink, contained the following words: "'In the name of the ever adorable Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, Amen. Be it known by these presents, that on the first Sunday of August, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Ninety-six (1896) in the eighteenth (18th) year of the gracious reign of the Supreme Pontiff Leo XIII, 262nd Successor of St. Peter; Patrick A. Feehan, Archbishop of Chicago; Grover Cleve-land, President of the United States; John P. Altgeld, Governor of the State of Illinois, in the presence of a large concourse of laity and clergy, under the invocation of Almighty God and special patronage of the Holy Cross which title this Church shall bear, in testimony of a gracious redemption and under the protection of the Con-stitution of these United States, the sacred pledge and guarantee of our religious liberty, was laid this day the Corner Stone of the Church. Attest: Geo. Rathz, Pastor, N.J. Mooney, Chancellor.'"

The Park District's innovative and tasteful adaptation of the former Holy Cross Church to its new use as the East Side Community Center is an outstanding example of recycling a historic building for a new use.

The Center provides muchneeded recreational and meeting facilities while saving the beautiful Gothic structure for future generations of Batavians.

 

 


Society Loses Two Prominent Members

 

The Society and the community at large have recently lost two members closely associated with Batavia's history, Thomas Mair and Arthur Swanson. Tom Mair, a descendant of early Batavia settlers, served for 1:1 period as city attorney. A member of the group of Batavia historians known as the "Senility Club," he was the author of a fascinating book, Batavia Revisited, which may be purchased at the depot museum. It is fitting that his son, Tim Mair, is now serving as a director of the Society.

 

ArtSwanson was Batavia's mayor during the years in which the ground-work was laid for what is today our ,Government Center and the River Wai~Witfih,s family, he was a major donor to the effort that has led to the installation of historic windmills in the downtown area. His death unfortunately prevented him from participating in the recent Windmill Trade Fair, an event to which he had looked forward with eager anticipation.

 

Does Your Newsletter Have a Red Dot?

 

If so, this will be your last newsletter unless we hear from you. According to our records, you have not paid dues for any year after 1994. As reported in our last issue, we want to make sure that our newsletters and other notices are properly addressed and go to persons with a continuing interest in the activities of the Society.

 

Because our mailing list presently incudes the names of persons who have not paid dues or with whom we have had no other contact for several years, the Board has adopted a policy of retaining on its mailing list only those persons who have paid dues for the current year or the year immediately past and any other person who indicates, in writing, that he or she wishes to continue receiving the Society's mailings


All Tanked Up

by Robert Popeck

 

11.jpg12.jpg

Not in the sense that you normally hear the phrase. What I am referring to are the two historic storage tanks that generous donors have given us. The large tank, built by the U.S. Wind Engine and Pump Company in November 1936, was donated by the Tom Alexander family of Sugar Grove. This 1 O-foot tank, which sat on one of their farms west of Elburn, stands approxi-mately 27 feet high upon its iron tower.

 

The tank, along with the tower, was moved to Batavia last fall and recently received a new roof. The photograph shows it in its per-manent site beside the Coffin Bank. Note the finial on the roof, which was recreated from pictures in old catalogs. The original top will be on display in the museum along with the iron indicator weight, which traveled up and down the measuring guide to show the amount of water in the tank.

 

The small water tank was donated by the Harold Maves family in memory of Harold's late wife, Crystal. We have not been able to confirm its original use: it is too large to serve as a salesman's sample or to be considered a miniature or yard model. We are told that the tank, which was given to Crystal's father by the president of the Challenge Company, may have been included in the large windmill display at the 1893 Columbian World Exposition in Chicago, along with other Challenge products. This tank, or one like it, appeared in a 1900 agriculture show in Philadelphia. For many years, it sat beside Crystal's family home on Cleveland Avenue. It has received a new roof, and the tower has been given a coat of paint. Its permanent home has not yet been selected.


A Tour of Our Historic Central District

 

This issue includes, as an insert, a map and a de-scription of the route that the Batavia Trolley will follow in showing riders the historic buildings and other sights in our downtown and adjacent neighborhoods. Because of unexpected mechanical difficulties, the inauguration of trolley service has been delayed. The problems may have been solved by the time you read this; if so, be sure to take a ride. Otherwise, you can use the map and the conductor's script for a selfguided driving or walking tour. And we suggest sav- d ing the insert for future use when you are entertaining out-of-town visitors.


Our Membership Keeps Growing!

 

Since the first of the year we have added a number of new Society members. We welcome the following persons (all from Batavia unless otherwise noted) who took out annual individual or family memberships through the middle of June:

 

Pat Bass (Burnet, Texas)

Alan and Grace Blotch Val and Christine Brahm Wayne Clements (Saline, Michigan)

John Gamble Family

Mr. and Mrs. Philip Giles Alexander Hall (St. Louis Park, Minnesota)

Andrew Hall (Des Moines, Iowa)

Thomas D. Hall

Bruce and Lisa Hohmann

Phillip Huyser Family

Mark Johnston (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

Jennifer Jones (Atlanta, Georgia)

Kathryn Klose

Gail Minella

George Mohn (St. Charles)

Ars. J.B. Moran

Mr. and Mrs. James R. Nass, Jr.

Larry and Janet Overstreet

Paul and Bonnie Petrenko

Mrs. M.F. See (Plainfield)

Nick Seidel

Mr. and Mrs. D. Jack Smith Pierce W. Smith (Geneva)

Mr. and Mrs. Marian Tevis Marcia Sperry Totz (Geneva)

Wayne and Betty Warden

Donald and Corliss Weaver

Walter L. Weiss

 

In addition, the following persons (from Batavia unless otherwise noted) have become Life Members:

 

Nancy L. Hubbard

Greg and Paula Issei

Joe and Addie Marconi

Arlene Nick

Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Miller III

Jerry Rundle (San Diego, California)

Kent Shodeen (Geneva, Illinois)

Dennis Swanson

Richard L. Swanson (San Antonio, Texas)

Wayne Swanson

E. Louise (Rundle)

Tregellas (Lenore, Idaho)

 

In recent months, several persons have given memberships to their children or friends who no longer live in Batavia. This is a thoughtful, and inexpensive, way to help these persons maintain old ties. You might want to consider doing this for someone you know.


More Stories Always Welcome

 

As you can see in this issue, we are beginning to get more contributors to the Historian. And already we have some vol-unteers lined up for the next couple of issues -- but we always need more. An editor's greatest fear is coming up against the deadline for an issue and not having enough good stories to fill the pages. That would be particularly unfortunate here in Batavia where many more good stories lie untold than we could ever print.

 

We look forward to the day when we will thank people for good stories while warning them that there is such a backlog that theirs will not be used until two or three issues down the road. The best stories are those with names -- names of old-time Batavians to awaken the memo-ries of our older readers and to acquaint the younger ones with people who helped build Batavia.

 

We have one of these that will appear in a future issue, but there are never enough. Another thing we can always use is a good picture  of a special happening or of an evocative street scene, for example. And don't think that a contribution has to relate to someone or something 75 or 100 years ago.

 

Hard as it is for some of us to realize (or admit), anything before 1950 -- even later -- is now history! Let us hear from you. Call Bill Hall at 879-2033, or write him at 345 N. Batavia Avenue.


 ADVERTISEMENT FROM THE PAST

 

The Dandy Steel Mill

 

Untitled-2.jpg

 

 

This steel mill, when furnished with graphite self lubricating boxes, will run for 25 years without oil and therefore requires no attention whatever. These mills are furnished galvanized or not, just as ordered. The Dandy 4-cornered steel tower is the strongest, most substantial and most absolutely storm proof tower made. Mill and tower sent out on 30 days test trial and if not satisfactory to the purchaser, can be returned to us and we will pay freight both ways.

 

We also make a full line of Power Wind Mills for running machinery of all kinds and can furnish any size wanted. We also make a full and complete line of tanks, pump stands, cylinders, grinders shellers, saws etc.

 

In addition to this will say we make 107 sizes and kins of windmills, being more than any other four corners in the business.

 

Challenge Wind Mill and Feed Mill Co., Batavia, Ill.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Batavia Historical Society Membership 1996

 

Name

Address __________________________________________________

City ___________________________ State __________ Zip _______

 

 

Dues Structure:

ο Individual

ο Joint/Family

ο Junior

ο Classroom

ο Life (each)

ο Life (family)

ο Business or Institution

ο Business or Institution Life

 

Prompt payment of dues is appreciated!

 

$5.00 $10.00 $1.00 $5.00 $75.00 $125.00 $10.00 $100.00

 

Mail to:

Treasurer

Batavia Historical Society P.O. Box 14 Batavia, Illinois 60510

o This membership is being given as a gift

If you would like to give a membership as a gift, send the above information and dues to the Society and indicate in the box above that it is to be a gift.