Volume Fifty

No. 3


August, 2009


Rock City - Batavia Quarries - Major Suppliers of Stone 

At a re-creation of the popular game show, “Who’s smarter than a fifth grader,” Mayor Schielke asked

fifth graders from Alice Gustafson School, “Who is Frederick Beach? ”  No one knew.  Do you?







According to the History of Kane County and the Encyclopedia of Illinois History, Col. Joseph Lyon came to Batavia in 1834.  He dug the first stone for curbing a well in 1834 or '35.  The first regular quarrying began in 1842 when Zeres Reynolds opened up his quarry on the west side of the river.  John Gustafson noted that, “He built a wing dam to the Island with an undershot wheel, carried machinery for cutting stone for a variety of building purposes.”  By 1849, the first stone building was constructed using stone from Reynold’s quarry.  Lockwood hall was constructed for Judge Samuel D. Lockwood.  The population was less than 600 people and many looked to the quarry for their livelihood.By 1860 there were nine operating quarries and Batavia became known as the Rock City.


According to Gustafson, “E.S. Towne owned a quarry between Walnut and Blaine which he sold to William Coffin who built the Stone Manor, Derby and Barker’s Quarry was at the east end of Walnut St.  Sackett Booth’s quarry was between Union and Walnut.  Whipple’s Quarry was at the end of Elm and McKee’s Quarry was at the end of Illinois Avenue.  All of these quarries were on the west side of the river. ”On the east side of the Fox was the William Clark Quarry, just east of the Clark Islands.  It had previously been owned by the Van Nortwicks.  Records show that L.S. Canfield, M. Huntly, James Shannon, J.W. Randall and Isaac Stephens also owned quarries on that side of the river.Shannon was a contractor who had purchased a quarry to use in his business. 


He built the old McWayne School in 1867 and the old court house in Geneva, the courthouse and jail in Wheaton and a bridge in St. Charles.The Randall and Stephens quarries are credited with providing the stone for the First Methodist Church and some buildings for the Newton Wagon Company.The Derby and Barker quarry provided the first Batavia stone used to build a bridge.  The stone was transported to Geneva to build the Chicago and Northwestern Railway bridge.  The train lines, realizing the importance of providing shipping services to the quarries extended their line to Batavia in 1872.  The line wasn’t extended to Aurora until 1883.  Lawrence Barker bought out Derby, paying $1000 an acre.  He continued to acquire land later paying $2000 an acre for a five and a half plot, adjacent to his original quarry. 


Barker is credited with building most off the Challenge Windmill Company buildings.  The Barker Quarry employed 40 men in 1887. In that same year the Barker quarry built a tramway that allowed them to elevate their stone to the bank by steam power.  There the stone could be crushed with machinery for that purpose or cut into building stone.  The building stones ranged from 2 inches to 33 inches in thickness and measured twenty feet in length for shipment.  Eventually the mining at the quarry was regulated by the city since the blasts were so strong that they shook the homes on Water Street. Herbert Price, a Chicago businessman bought the Barker Quarry. 


In addition to the quarry he owned five fishing cottages located just south of the quarry in an area that would be known as Woodland Avenue today.  He also owned and operated a gas station and a barbeque stand.Stone from the quarry was used to build Northern Illinois University and many Chicago buildings that were constructed after the great Chicago fire. There were six pools at the quarry known as Frog Pond, Pump Shed Pond, Little Quarry Pond, Swimming Pond, Snow’s Pond and Big Quarry Pond.  Big Quarry Pond was the pond that is today’s pool. Frederick Beach who had spent many year working for the Newton Wagon Company purchased the quarry after the supply of limestone was exhausted.  He also purchased the Clark Quarry (which included the Clark Islands) and deeded both to the township for the purpose of public recreational space. 



Quarry Memories   

Laurens E. Wolcott lived on Union street during the years that the quarries were in operation.  In the recollections he wrote for his sons, he wrote the following: Now, since you three sons all spent your boyhood years in Batavia perhaps you would like to know how it appeared in my boyhood days.  First, let me say that all construction in those days was either wood (lumber was then cheap and plentiful) or of brick or stone masonry.  Limestone was plentiful and cheap at that time from three local quarries, all in operation. vol_50_16.jpgSince this material (stone) involved no transportation or handling costs other than by team from rock bed to building site, it was used for all public buildings, factories, stores and main dwellings almost to the exclusion of brick.  I never heard of concrete until I was grown. 


There was, no cement in those days except for what was always called Portland cement and came in wood barrels from England by boat and rail, hence very expensive. Also, no structural shapes in steel had been made. In fact, steel was very scarce and expensive and little used in those days until after the discovery of the open hearth and Bessemer processes. The hard metal of those days was iron, either cast or the soft wrought such as is used for nails or iron rails.  Hence the workmen of those days were of the highest efficiency in quality and range of workmanship as well as deftness in performance. 


Each seemed to be in a contest to turn out the best day's work in quality and amount. His reward would be in the higher wage he could demand, and get, for his time.  He was not held back in performance by Union laws to keep pace with the slowest and poorest in what he could do.  A good carpenter of those days could do anything from cabinet or wheel making to building a complete house including that is now called the mill work. 


 A stone cutter was a virtual sculptor who could cut letters or designs on stones with great accuracy as well as shape the stones themselves to 1/16th inch in exactness. A stone mason could lay up a wall not only with precision, but with judgment and taste as to the arrangement of the stones.  He could also lay up a structurally correct stone arch over the openings in the wall (doors and windows). It was often fascinating to me as a kid to watch these artisans at work.


The entrances to the quarry pits were located just below our house at the foot of Union Avenue where the exit to Beach Quarry Park is now. It was a common sight to see the workmen come and go past our house on their way to or from their work. There was the constant sound of the drills as the men drilled holes in the rock bed for blasting. This drilling was not by the pneumatic drills of today but by the slow, constant and patient hand lifting and pounding of heavy steel-tipped iron bars, like a crow bar, by two men who rotated the chisel-bitted bar a quarter turn at each stroke. That certainly must have been a tedious job all day of every day. A blacksmith shop on the bank kept the drills sharpened and tempered.  Mary Bailey's husband, Ed Peterson's grandfather, at one time was the blacksmith there. 


There were also frequent blastings, more often at quitting time, noon and night, when the men were leaving the danger zone and after the holes they had drilled had been loaded with blasting powder (no dynamite in those days) and set off with a lighted match touched to the end of two or three feet of fuse. The blasts themselves were a thing to see.  Stones, large and small, blown high in the air. Much stone was shipped out by rail even as far as to Chicago. 


Heavy stone was loaded on flat cars on a siding by derrick and a device something like huge ice tongs that clamped onto the stone which was then lifted by a hand windlass at the base of the derrick, the boom swung around until over the loading spot, then gently lowered.  The same procedure applied to loading the stone wagons which were slung low so the platform was only eight or ten inches above ground.  vol_50_17.jpg


This made for easier loading and unloading at destination.  The unloading was accomplished by easing off with iron bars and rollers.  All rubble or building stone was transported from rock bed to loading site by stone boat and team.  Much stone was shipped rough as rubble to be laid up in ordinary walls and partitions; much was shipped cut to rough dimensions. 


Two or three stone cutters were always at work shaping and finishing stone to accurate blue print dimensions and specifications for sills, caps, arches, etc. An important part of my life was the quarry pool where I learned to swim, skate, fish and spent many happy hours. 


It was a dangerous place for youngsters to play, as the quarry banks were steep and the "pond" as we called it was deep - over twenty feet in some places. It was spring-fed from the many streams of water that issued from the cracks, fissures and seams in the wall of solid limestone the men were working on.  The pit itself or pond at the lower level derived from previous excavations of rock and workings of the quarry. Until I could swim I was not allowed to go to the pond without adult supervision. Father would sometimes accompany me for a short spell of fishing for which I would prepare for hours in advance by digging worms, adjusting my "sinker", my "bobber", line, etc. 


The pond was well stocked with pan fish: rock bass, silver bass, blue gills, pumpkin seeds, etc. as well as minnows. When about six years of age I caught a large red-horse that seemed almost as large as I was, and it nearly pulled me in. My father shouted instructions for me as to what to do. I had never seen so large a fish caught and had never heard of a red-horse.  It had a white belly and appeared to me mostly white and I remember rushing over to Grandpa's and shouting that I had caught a white horse.  It took some calmer parental explanation to enlighten my grandfather as to the kind of horse I had actually caught. 


I was an immensely proud boy over that fish, more so than any I have caught since.  I shall never forget the many happy childhood hours, winter and summer, spent at the "old swimming hole", the quarry. At that time, in addition to the quarries, the chief industries were the U. S. Wind Engine & Pump Co., the Newton Wagon Works, the Challenge Company, the Van Nortwick Paper Mills and a little later the Paper Bag Co.  All of these, and many more smaller enterprises of those days are now extinct. 


The Shumway Foundry was in operation then and still exists under the management of the middle-aged grandsons of the founder and then owner, C. W. Shumway, who lived in the house at the southwest corner of Elm Street and Batavia Avenue across from the Wade house. Universal working hours consisted of a 59-hour week, from 7 AM to 6 PM with an hour for daily lunch except Saturdays when the quitting hour was 5 PM.  All stores were open evenings until about ten, and opened about 6:30 or 6:45 AM to catch trade or orders from men going to work.  Remember, no telephones or other means of communication in those days.

Membership News – April to June, 2009 - New Members 


Donald Schmitz, Lake Geneva, WI

Dennis Carlstedt, Sandusky, OH

Steven R. Hoover, Chicago

John H. Markuson, Jr., Batavia

Jon & Aija Horton, Batavia

Lori Mitchell, North Aurora – Gift of Dale and Donna Womack

Sally L. Hazelton, Batavia – Gift of Nancy and Al McCloud

Kathy Carlson, Batavia

Phyllis Benson Roberts, Austin TX, Gift of Allen and Mary Ellen Benson

Lumas & Marilyn Benson Hughes, Walnut Creek, CA, Gift of Allen and Mary Ellen Benson 


New Life Members


Ruth Nan Wroldsen, Geneva, IL  member became Life Member

Dan & Pat Hoefler, Batavia, Gift of the Society for June Program

Mollyanne Hubbard, Batavia, member became Life Member

Dave & Darlene Carpenter, Ludington, MI – Gift from Coleen Feece

Gail Minella, Batavia – Member became Life Member

Robert Clever, Mashpee, MA - Member became Life Member

Member Loss


We are sorry to note the passing of Mrs. Annette Justine Spuhler on June 19, 2009 and Helen Bartelt Anderson on June 11, 2009.

Editors Notes


We are still in need of stories and photos about the neighborhood groceries for upcoming column, especially F&H Grocery.  Future topics we are looking for include memories on the bowling alley and doctors in Batavia.  Please send your thoughts to the editor at, or mail them to The Batavia Historian, 1117 Main St. Batavia, IL 60510. 


Swimming at the Quarry
From the editor 


Although (legal) swimming at the quarry dates to 1920, I can only claim the fifties as my initial dunking. In those days, everyone entered the quarry by driving south on Water Street along a narrow, winding, single lane road. It was dark with the heavy growth of trees and bushes and I always worried that my mother would miss a turn and land car first in the quarry.

I knew what the letters WPA meant before my ABC's. My mother delighted in telling my sister and me about the quarry stone buildings which were built during the depression by the men in the Works Progress Administration.

In the fifties, everyone went to the quarry and I mean everyone. There were very few backyard swimming pools in town and the quarry was the pace to cool off on hot summer days. Parents who didn't swim sat on park benches and carefully watched their children to make sure they made it out of the pool for the five minute rest periods.  There were two fears at the time.  Polio was prevalent and my mom always thought that it could strike at any time.  The other was the pool itself. 

Throughout my lifetime the quarry has claimed several lives. I still shudder every time I hear the lifeguards blow their whistles to clear the pool. It takes me back to the many days I stood outside the fence watching the divers search the pool for a missing person. Everyone was silent, fearful that a child would be found.

In those days a visit to the quarry was not complete without a visit to the refreshment stand where every member of the John Albright family worked. It was the only place to buy pretzel rods in town. It was the snack of choice since it could be quickly consumed with a coke during the five minute rest period.vol_50_18.jpg

I learned to swim at the quarry from Sam Rotolo as did many Batavians my age. 

I remember the diving board day as if it were yesterday.  I had spent the entire summer dreading it.  It was the last day of swimming lessons.  It was the day I had to go into the deep end of the quarry and jump off first.

In my day the spring board diving boards did not exist---just first, second and tower.  Sam Rotolo ran the swimming program at the quarry.  When he thought that you were ready to jump off first, he would take the class to the board and everyone would line up.  He would hold your hand and jump along with you if you were scared.

I remember both my mom and grandmother sitting on a park bench and watching through the chain link fence.  I wasn't sure if they were there to claim my body after drowning or to witness my retreat into the dressing room in shame.

I stood on the board, shivering with goose bumps, peering down into the water, a distance that matched Pike's Peak from my vantage point.

In quiet reassuring tones, Mr. Rotolo told me that I could do it, that we could do it together. As much as I wanted to believe him, I just couldn't. He said that was ok and I could try again another time. 

The next day, the scenario was the same.  Only this time, Mr. Rotolo jumped into the water and promised me that I wouldn't drown.

Something in his voice gave me the courage to jump.  I went into the cold water, kicking my legs and flapping my arms faster than a chicken running through a barnyard.  When I hit the water's surface, Mr. Rotolo caught my arm and made sure that I didn't go under.  He was so excited that I did it. 

In 51 years, I never did it again.

In 1964, Harold "Bosco" Hall took over as the manager of the quarry pool.  At that time there wasn't a park district and quarry park was under the city's jurisdiction, or the Batavia Recreation Board.  Bosco who was a city employee accepted the job because there was no one else to do it.  Of course that's his version.

Anyone who knows Bosco knows that he is a quiet man with a big heart always willing to help where he can.  I was a park district employee in those days.  I didn't work at the quarry but I did teach a theater class and we had two of our productions down there.  It was one more thing for Bosco to deal with but he took it in stride. 

During the summer in the '60's the quarry was the teenage hang out.  Local bands played on the stage and there was an outdoor movie night each week.  A huge white tarp hung from the cliff just south of the quarry stone stairs.  Even though the movies were released years before we didn't miss movie night.

Unfortunately problems with drugs and alcohol came into play and the movie night was canceled.

"All the problems started with 'the Beatles'" Bosco told me.  "As soon as they came on the scene we had trouble."

How he could say this to me, a female who had invested hundreds of dollars in the Beatle phenomena was a mystery to me.

For all his years of dedicated service, the Batavia Park District honored Bosco by naming the quarry pool after him.  The proper name is the Harold Hall Pool in the Frederick Beach quarry.  Recently the Park District shortened the name to the Hall Quarry Beach.



News From the Museum
by Carla Hill, Depot Museum Director


Late spring and early summer has been a very busy time at the museum.


In May, we were very busy giving tours to over 600 Batavia third graders.  We owe a big thank you to Barb Dickenson who helped us with the tours this year.  We could not have done it without her. 


We have been very busy with special tours this year.  We have hosted several groups and organizations as well as the Wenberg Family reunion which had over 150 visitors in town.


On July 17-19 we hosted the 3rd Annual Batavia Quilt and Textile show.  The turnout was wonderful and this year we were able to show over 150 beautiful vintage and contemporary quilts.  We are very grateful to our Steering Committee as well as all of our volunteers.  This is a huge undertaking. 


To go along with the City of Batavia’s AIYE Fine Arts Festival, Chris Winter has installed another wonderful exhibit, “Art Defined”, which is an art exhibit featuring pieces by many local artists.  The highlight of the exhibit is the “Egg Art” by Elsie Renuad and on loan to the museum from her son Tim Renaud.  The exhibit will stay in place until August 31 so be sure to stop in and see it!


This summer our intern, Alexa Nosek, is once again working in the Gustafson Research Center.  Alexa is from Geneva and attends Illinois Wesleyan University.  This year we have a second intern working on our collections.  Jon Simpson is a graduate student who is working on our newspaper index as well as the textile collection.  We are very grateful to the Batavia Historical Society for the opportunity to have her help.


Chris is working on ideas for our fall exhibit and we are currently making plans for the 2009 Christmas ornament.

New volunteers are always needed at the museum.  If you would like to volunteer at the museum please contact Lois Benson at 630 879-1080 or Chris Winter/Carla Hill at the museum 630 406-5274.




Quarry Recollections by Karen Hall 


I asked in the last news letter for recollections of days at the quarry.  Harold Hall’s niece Karen Hall, responded with the following:  Growing up in the fifties in Batavia, I have great memories of the quarry.  My friends and I couldn’t wait for the quarry to open so that we could go swimming.  In those days the pool was divided in three sections: the deep end, the kids pool and the baby pool.  The first order of business was to pass “the test” to get to swim in the deep end.  This consisted of swimming the length of the deep end.  Once that was accomplished you had access to the slides, the rafts and the diving boards.  The rafts were a lot of fun.  They were on barrels and if a bunch of kids got on, they started rocking. 


 I remember conquering my fear and jumping off of the second diving board.  I made many trips up there, took one look and turned around and headed back down.  When I finally got the courage to jump I just couldn’t get enough of it

I also remember the checkout and the room where you put your basket of clothes.  When I was in grade school I wanted to work there but by the time I got to high school they had put in lockers


We would go for swimming lessons in the morning, them swim all day and go back after supper.

The quarry was a place to meet your friends and to make new friends from the other side of town.  Labor Day was the last day that the quarry was open and we all dreaded that day.  We all knew that swimming had ended for the summer and the next day was back to school.



Save the Date
Next General Meeting
September 27, 2009  
Program - TBA




Dues are to be paid by December 31 every year unless you are a LIFE MEMBER.  With the price of postage going up, we have quit sending you a membership card every year when you renew, but we are grateful to receive your dues and have you as a member.Please remember to send us a change of address if you move, as the forwarding and sending of First Class copies is very expensive.Please complete and submit the form on the back to update your membership and information.



Taken from a collection of essays by the late Robert A. Becker 



This was experienced by me when I was the Chairman of the Police and Fire Committee of the Batavia City Council. I was serving my first term as Fifth Ward Alderman. I had swam in the Batavia Quarry since childhood.


It wasn't a very pretty day, especially at the noon hour when the sun should be at its highest. In fact, it was dull, and very humid and still. It was so still one could almost feel the raindrops starting to form in the overcast sky. I stood on the outside of the fence looking at the men working on the inside. They didn't speak, only stood and watched the scuba divers following their predetermined patterns. Heads appeared and then went down, only to appear several feet ahead. There were three men, all in black rubber suits. Two policemen stood at the water's edge. One of them held a portable radio which broke the silence only once or twice with an inquiry.


The Assistant Fire Chief and two men from the department stood near a plastic bag. No, it was rubber, with a long zipper up one side and across the top. The firemen said nothing, only watched. There were only two other people present, two lifeguards, a boy and a girl. They were in street clothes because the Quarry Pool had closed yesterday and this was the day they were to begin storing equipment for the fall. The girl's eyes were red and moist, and once the back of her hand brushed against her face as if her vision had been blurred. The boy, probably now a young man, touched her shoulder and then sat down on a nearby bench. One of the firemen noticed me by the fence and quietly asked me to come inside. I stood beside him, but we didn't speak. A few drops of rain began to fall and we hunched our shoulders as if to protect our necks from the wetness. Finally, one of the divers called sadly, "I've found it." The other two divers swam to his side and helped him guide his burden to the shore. I could only imagine how the parents and the two brothers felt yesterday afternoon when it was time to leave for home and the fifth member of the family did not answer the loudspeaker's call to "report to the checkroom".


At first there must have been worry and anger, and then fear and panic. People searched the water. Lifeguards blew their whistles to clear the pool and then they, too, began to search. My God, how they must have searched. Later when it was dark, very dark, and nothing more could be done, the parents and their two sons left - not knowing. Now everyone present knew for certain. The body was placed in the bag and the zipper was closed. It was raining harder now, but no one bothered to shield himself from the drops. A voice spoke briefly into the portable radio and moments later a vehicle moved silently down the gravel path to the pool. The bag was placed upon a cot and wheeled away. The men near the pool busied themselves picking up equipment as I walked to the gate and passed through it. The raindrops on the surface were all that disturbed the stillness of the water. It wasn't a very pretty day. It wasn't a very big bag. She was only 12 years old.


The Batavia Swim Girls  


It went by many names. Some called it the Country Club Swim. Others called it the 10:30 Club. My favorite name was the Menopausal Mermaids.

“I think that name came about when the park district brought in an instructor and offered synchronized swimming lessons,” said the late Ann Spuhler, a former member of the early-morning swim club that swam at the quarry back in the 1950s and ’60s. “That class didn’t really go over too well.”


In the days of my youth, I would go to swimming lessons and see many women at the deep end of the pool lounging in beach chairs and taking a swim when it got hot.

“It was quite a group,” said Spuhler. “We had Peg Bond, Eleanor Jones, Agnes Clever, Edie Donat, Adelaide Nelson, Bess Daugherty, Barb Ullrich, Dorthea Avis, Kathryn Reed, Jane Johnson, Grace Kokesch, Florence Liedberg and Mary Yaeger,. . The quarry staff would leave the north gate open so that we could come and go as we pleased.”

The group became close friends and also met every Tuesday night for a picnic.  “We never organized the potluck,” said Spuhler. “Sometimes we would have mostly salads, sometimes entrees. We never really knew what people would bring because we never assigned anything.”


Although the group didn’t swim at an indoor pool through the winter, they did continue the potlucks.

“We would meet at the Daughertys’ news agency, ” Spuhler said. “The news agency would have to get fliers ready for the Sunday Tribune. By Monday everything was cleared out and then we’d be able to have our potluck there.”

Forty years later, the early-morning swim still continues with many adult swimmers taking advantage of the serenity and beauty of the quarry in the early morning hours. It all starts at 6 a.m. and many people come before work.

“You’ll see many of the early swimmers leave and then use the showers in the bath house to get dressed for work,” said lifeguard Dan Gonzalez.


Gonzalez is a junior at Northern Illinois University and doesn’t mind getting up at 5 a.m. to be down at the pool to open up at 5:45 a.m.

“It gives the lifeguards the opportunity to earn extra hours and this group is a lot nicer than the people who come during the regular hours,” he said as he flashed a big smile at some of the ladies nearby.

Gonzalez explained that many of the swimmers are taking advantage of the early opening for an exercise workout and swim laps. A group that arrives later in the morning participates in the aerobics class. All in all, the swimmers are cooperative, mindful of the rules and easy to work with.

“Although they could bake more,” he added, with a grin. “You can’t go wrong with brownies.”

Mary McCarter has been coming for seven or eight years and really enjoys the quiet beauty of the park. Although, on cold mornings, it can be a bit of a challenge.


“It’s not bad once you get in the water,” she said. “You’ve just got to take the plunge.”

Liz Safanda is one of the veterans of the group. She estimates that she has been coming for the past 20 years. Even though she now has to pay out-of-town rates, she believes the early-morning swim is one of the best things the park district has to offer.


“It feels like summer camp,” she said. “I started coming when my son was young. I’d swim from 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 a.m. and then go home so that my husband could go to work.”

Safanda also enjoys the beauty of the quarry. She’s seen ducks with little ducklings, a great blue heron and even knows when the mating season for frogs takes place.

“There is always one day in June where you see a lot of frogs out,” she added. “They must come out of the creek by the bath house.”


The frogs don’t deter Safanda from coming to the quarry. She swims every day before she heads off to her job at Preservation Partners. She doesn’t let cold weather stop her.

“I remember one morning when the outdoor temperature registered about 58 degrees,” she said. “The water was warm

but I have to admit it was pretty cold.”

Donna McReynolds has been an early-morning swimmer since 1992. In the beginning she came while her daughter was in swimming lessons.


“I only swam for 20 minutes but I really enjoyed it and then started coming regularly,” she added.

Joan Clayton would like to see the program offered on the weekends. “Many people work and it would be nice if they had the opportunity to swim on Saturday, especially,” she said.


The group is in agreement that the early-morning swim is a little-known secret of the park district. They can’t believe that more people don’t take advantage of the program.


“It’s such a gift,” said Safanda. “It’s so sad when the pool closes at the end of the year. In January, I start counting the days until the quarry opens again.”

Dear Society Members, 

Is summer almost over?  It shouldn’t be, but we’re on the down slope now.  Bob Peterson, Vice President in charge of programs is already making arrangements for speakers for the September and December general meetings.  A nominating committee has been formed and we will be voting on the following positions at the September meeting:  President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, and (4) Directors.  While you are out strolling these last beautiful summer days, be sure to stop by the museum.  We also have volunteers in the research center if you are interested in a particular subject about Batavia’s history as well as information on many Batavia families.  Not only are there public records available for research, there are also many photo albums to peruse.  Hope to see you at the September meeting.

Patty Rosenberg, President





We apologize, for we have been remiss in not including acknowledgements in the Historian of memorials made to the BHS this year.  We thank all who have made these donations in memory of family and friends.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -   


John Hafenrichter

In memory of Jane Elwood:

Nancy & Alan McCloud

Grace McWayne Faculty and Staff

In memory of Diane Huisel:

Batavia Senior Citizens Club

In memory of Wendell Johnson

Phyllis Soderquist

In memory of Liz Flodstrom:

Phyllis Soderquist

In memory of Joan Engstrom McKinney:

Barbara Gross

In memory of Clarice Bowron Kunz:

Denis & Nancy Bowron

In memory of Karl & Helen Oslund:

Denis & Nancy Bowron

In memory of Harold Holbrook:

Dr. & Mrs. John O’Dwyer

In honor of Anne Ross’ 100th Birthday

Rodney & Clara Ross

In memory of Annette Spuhler

Mary Jane & Chris Caison

Katherine McGuigan

Denis & Nancy Bowron

Lillian Brown

Shorr-Kahn Family

Robert & Lois French

Pearl Blass

Gerald & Karen Miller

Carol Birch, Alice Pitts, Joan Smith

      Dan & Karen Hamingson
      James R. Anderson

Joan Harms

Patti Condon

Beebe Poyden

Phil Elfstrom

David R. Bluestone

Dennis & Joy Swanson

Norm & Nancy Freedlund

Nan Gloss Cobb

Sue Gloss Hill