THE BATAVIA HISTORIAN

Volume Fifty-Four

No. 3

August, 2013

View the original PDF  


   

Fraternal Organizations

by Chris Winter
 

This article appeared in a Streatorland Historical Society newsletter and shared with museum staff by Georgene Kauth O 'Dwyer. Museum Curator Chris Winter researched and added information pertaining to Batavia to the story.


Throughout the 1800’s and into the first two decades of the 1920’s, Americans banded together in fraternal societies in astonishing numbers. It began as a trickle in 1800 with an estimated few thousand Americans belonging to a few secret brotherhoods, but by 1927 there were about 800 different secret orders in the United States with a combined membership of 30 million.


Fraternal or secret societies fulfill basic human needs to be a part of something and to enjoy the fellowship of other members. These things are a part of any fraternal experience. In addition, most of these groups have or had another function or purpose. Basically, the majority of the secret societies in this country can be subdivided into benevolent groups, insurance groups, patriotic organizations, and religious societies - recognizing that sometimes the categories get mixed.

 

1.jpg

The primary purpose of a benevolent society is to protect its members and their dependents and to engage in charitable work among those in need or distress. Two of the most important of these societies are the Knights of Pythias, founded in 1864, and the Benevolent Order of Elks, founded in 1866. The Knights were first organized in Washington, D.C. around the story of the friendship between two young men, Damon and Pythias. Damon, under a death sentence, asked to be allowed to any goodbye to his family. Pythias, confident of his friend’s return, agreed to act as hostage. Damon, or course, returned and the bond of trust and friendship served as an example to others.
The Elks were originally a group of actors and writers known as the Jolly Corks. One day some members visited Barnum’s Museum in search of a suitable name. Bears and beavers were ruled out before the group decided upon the elk. A number of their benevolent societies also chose animal names including the Loyal Order of Moose (1888), the Fraternal Order of Eagles (1898), the Order of Owls (1904), and the Fraternal Order of Orioles (1910).


Insurance societies, which were once prevalent in the United States, were the Ancient Order of United Workmen (1868), the Independent Order of Foresters (1874), the Maccabees (1883), and the Modern Woodmen of America (1883). When a member of one of these societies died, a collection was taken up amongst the numbers and a cash payment was made to the survivors.


Some organizations are directly affiliated with religious faiths. The most obvious is the Knights of Columbus. Two of the largest fraternal organizations in this country began in England; The Masonic Lodge (1717) and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1745.

Fraternal memberships in the United States peaked in the 1920’s. The Depression and the economic disaster it occasioned contributed to the decline, but other factors figured just as significantly. New leisure-time activities, such as movies, radio, daily newspapers, and the automobile, took time away from “lodge” activities.


The shift in leisure-time activities was just one part of the change. Similarly, the need for protective functions has also decreased. Social Security, pension and disability plans, IRA’s, and a host of government programs have greatly reduced our need for fraternal protection. Homes for dependent members (orphans, widows, the elderly) once an important benefit of membership have nearly disappeared. Although, many groups still help support members and their dependents in both public and private institutions.


According to the Batavia Directories at the Depot Museum, the earliest fraternal organization to form in this city was the Masonic Lodge in 1849. By 1896 a wide variety of organizations are listed in the directory meeting at various community halls and rooms above businesses in the downtown area:

 

Batavia Lodge No. 404 A.F. & A.M. (Ancient Free & Accepted Masons) Regular communications first and third Saturdays at Mair’s Hall, E.

 2.jpg

Wilson Street. There are 55 members.


Batavia Post No. 48 GAR. (Grand Army of the Republic) has been organized for 22 years. Meets second and fourth Fridays at G. A.R. Hall, 7 E. Wilson St. There are 48 members.


G.A.R. Ladies Auxiliary - Mrs. Theodore Wood, Pres; Mrs. M.J. Peckham, Sec.


Rock City Camp No. 45 S. of V. (Sons of Union Veterans) George Kellar, Capt; Leo Winslow, 1st Sergt. Meets at G.A.R. Hall the first and third Mondays.


Batavia Council, National Union No. 314 Meets first and third Fridays at G.A.R. Hall, 7 E. Wilson St. There are 42 members.


The Swedish American Republican Club (aka Nor- den Soner Lodge) N.P Gustafson, Pres. Meets at City Hall. There are 200 members.


Ash Camp No. 693 M.W. of A. Meets first and third Wednesdays at G.A.R. Hall. There are 50 members.


Rock City Lodge No. 718 I.O.O.F. (Independent Order of Odd Fellows) Meets Tuesdays at Meredith’s Hall. There are 114 members.


Batavia Court No 273 I.O.F.
Meets second and fourth Wednesdays at G.A.R. Hall. There are 30 members.


Rowena Lodge No. 535 K. of P. (Knights of Pythias) There are 30 members.


The Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 2 Meets first and third Thursdays at Pierce Hall.


Batavia Whist Club Rooms in Walt Block. Open daily. There are 30 members. (Whist is a classic tricktaking card game that became popular in the coffee houses of London and in fashionable society during the 18th century. In the 19th century, William Henry Seward, Secretary of State under Abraham Lincoln, was famous for his enjoyment of whist, often entertaining guests with the game.)


Batavia I.M.U. of N.A. No. 299 (International Molders Union of North America) Meets each alternate Monday at A.O.H. hall.


Batavia Rotary Cycling League, for ladies only. Genevieve Towne, Pres; Lizzie McDaniels, Sec. Meets monthly in winter, and fortnightly in summer, at homes of members. There are 25 members.


Columbian Club. Philanthropic and sociological. Mrs. Emma Meredith, Pres; Miss May Wolcott, Sec. Meets alternate Mondays.

 

3.jpg

As you can see, there were plenty of patriotic, fraternal, religious and social groups to become involved with for a community with a population of 3,500. One group that was unique to Batavia was the Norden Soner Lodge established in 1896 by Nels Peter Gustafson. The lodge provided a way for Swedish men to get together to become acquainted, keep alive the traditions of the old country, and to learn the history, government and mores of their adopted country.


Batavia was the first city to organize a Lodge (with 200 members their first year), but by 1930 every city in Kane County had one.


I’ve now come to understand that the charitable spirit that is now present in Batavia comes from a foundation built by our forefathers and their beliefs. Let’s pay it forward.

 

 

 



The Firehouse Dogs
By Ruth Johnsen


In the late 1960s, when I was a reporter for the Aurora Beacon-News, I’d visit the police and hre stations each morning to pick up any reports of local accidents, illegal incidents or fires.


In those days, Batavia had a real hrehouse dog, Streamer. A sleek white Dalmatian with large, black, uneven spots, Streamer had been trained by F.C. “Bud” Richter, the hre chief, to walk alone each day from the hre station to a local butcher shop about two blocks away. Streamer would place his paws on the counter above the case displaying various cuts of meat and grin, baring his shining white fangs I n which obviously was a doggy smile. This act always triggered the butcher into fetching a big bone for the handsome dog.

 

4.jpg

The butcher would come around from behind the meat case and place the bone, raw meat still hanging from it, in Streamer’s open mouth.
Streamer would then prance back to the hre house, bone displayed between his fangs, oblivious to the people he’d pass on Wilson Street along the way. He’d hnd “Bud,” stand in front of him, tail wagging and wait. Only after the Chief’s “O.K. Streamer,”
would the big spotted dog lie down and begin contentedly chewing his bone.


Later, when Bimbo, another Dalmatian hre house dog, joined the crew, Streamer remained “boss dog.” When the hre alarm rang and hremen slid down the shiny brass pole from their upstairs quarters, Bimbo had to wait impatiently until Streamer came running to claim his spot on the back of the big red hook-and- ladder. Bimbo’s early attempts to “get up there hrst” brought such snarls, growls and snapping teeth that he soon willingly backed away and waited until Streamer found his place.


As the huge truck sped from the station to the hre, the two dogs would immediately begin barking. When I asked Chief Richter one day what the dogs did to earn their keep, he replied, “We use them to hnd the hreplugs.”


Later, when Streamer died, a few of us paid for a memorial plaque to be hung on the hre house wall, designating his service to the community. I’ve been told the plaque now hangs in the East Side hre station.


BATAVIA’S SCHOOLS: PART 1, 1834-1910
 George H. Scheetz
Director, Batavia Public Library
 
As Batavia’s school year drew to a close, we celebrated the 102nd anniversary of the merger of East Batavia (District 101) and West Batavia (District 102), which took place in April 1911. However, Batavia’s pedagogical history actually began nearly 179 years ago.

The first school in Kane County was taught in a log building on Col. Joseph Lyon’s claim, a mile east of Batavia (then called “Big Woods”) in the fall of 1834. The average number of pupils in attendance was nine.

According to Superintendent Hugh A. Bone (in 1913), “in the year 1838 the east and west sides of Batavia were one school district. School was held in a small, one-story school building, on the lot where the East school building now stands. This soon became too small, and it was decided to make two school districts, to be known as Districts No. 5 [west side] and 6 [east side].”

BATAVIA INSTITUTE
Batavia Institute, a private academy, was chartered on 12 February 1853 by 13 men, including such familiar names as Rev. Stephen Peet, the Congregational minister; Elijah Shumway Town; Joel McKee; John Van Nortwick; Dennison K. Town, who settled in Batavia in 1839 as its first physician; and Isaac G. Wilson. The original, handwritten charter now resides in the Archives at Beloit College in Wisconsin.
 5.jpg

The central part of the building, which still stands at 333 South Jefferson Street, at the foot of Union Avenue, was constructed in 1853-1854 of locally quarried limestone at a cost of $20,000. Architect Elijah Shumway Town designed the building in a Greek Revival style.

At the time that the Batavia Institute was built, there were no secondary schools in Batavia. In fact, since not many towns had high schools, students came to the Batavia Institute from all over Illinois. The school operated for over 10 years under the supervision of the Congregational churches in the area until new public school laws lessened the need for such a school.

Batavia Institute was sold in 1867 to Richard J. Patterson, who, as proprietor and medical superintendent, operated it as Bellevue Place, a private rest home and sanitarium for women. State and local educational taxes were enacted for the first time in 1855.

EAST SIDE
Historian John Gustafson reported that a school was located for a time on the southeast corner of Park and Fayette Streets. Anew, three-story school for District No. 6 (later 101) was opened in 1860 on 24 North Washington Avenue (at State Street; the site of the 1838 school) and named East Side School. East Batavia High School was started in this building (along-side the other grades) in 1876.

This school burned on 10 January 1893, was rebuilt on the same site, and dedicated in 1894. During construction, classes were held in the Thomle block. (The Thomle block actually comprises two buildings. The two-story building at 2 East Wilson Street was built in 1876; the three-story building at 4-6 East Wilson Street was built in 1881.) The East Side School was named for its longtime principal, Louise Conde White, circa 1923.

 

WEST SIDE
School in District No. 5 (later 102) was held for about six years in the original Congregational church, the location of the former Hubbard’s Ethan Allen Gallery at 16 North Batavia Avenue. The school was then removed to a church on the present site of Calvary Episcopal Church (222 South Batavia Avenue) for nearly six years, when the church was sold for use as a reaper factory. The rooms on the second floor of the L. M. Whitney building at 102 South Batavia Avenue (at First Street; now the site of DeLuxe Cleaners) were used as a school for a short time.

 

7.jpg

Anticipating the future growth of the town, the taxpayers decided to build a schoolhouse. The lot on which Bethany Lutheran Church now stands (at 8 South Lincoln Street) was purchased and a one-story stone building was erected inl852. In 1858,a frame addition of two rooms was made. (Until February 1967, Lincoln Street was named Washington Street.)


In the spring of 1863, the Batavia Institute was rented and used by the older pupils for one year.


A new building—called “the imposing pile” in an 1878 history—was completed in 1867. Located near the center of the block bounded by Batavia Avenue, First Street, Washington (now Lincoln) Street, and (the future) Wilson Street, it was a wondrous three- story structure, built of Batavia limestone, with ornate towers that made it a local landmark, and “one of the best school buildings on the river at that time. A few taxpayers grumbled because so much space was used for halls and stairways.”


So, in 1878, there were two schools in Batavia. The West Side School contained “four departments, five teachers are employed, and 215 pupils receive instruction there.” The East Side School had six teachers “employed in its several departments, and 472 pupils are in attendance.”


West Side School—also called Central School— contained four school rooms and an assembly room on the third floor. In 1885, the assembly room was divided and used for classrooms, and an addition was built on the back, facing Washington (now Lincoln) Street, in 1898. This building was later used as a high school from 1902-1915, during which time (on 5 February 1913) “the entire top of the belfry tower was burned away.”


In April 1922, Central School was the first school in Batavia named in honor of an individual.

6.jpg


Most believe that McWayne School was named in honor of Grace McWayne, its principal. In fact, the original title did include her first name. The school name was changed in November 1937 to honor both Grace and her older sister, Ellen, but more on that story in Part 2.
McWayne School was razed in 1950; classes were moved to the new McWayne School at 328 West Wilson Street (now the Ministry Center for Bethany Lutheran Church).


The building at 355 First Street (at Lincoln Street) was built as the Methodist church in 1852. Known as the Church School (later the McWayne School Annex), it was purchased in 1888 from the Methodist church, remodeled, and occupied by the high school until 1902. The school operated until 1977.

 8.jpg

 

The building is now home to the Buttrey-Wulff- Mamminga Agency.

On 1 July 1901, a county-wide renumbering of school districts occurred, in which No. 6 (East Batavia) was changed to No. 101, and No. 5 (West Batavia) was changed to No. 102.

Blaine Street School opened in 1906 at 607 South Jefferson Street (at Blaine Street) and operated until 1969, when the students were transferred to Gustafson Elementary School.

Until the early 1950s, several one-room school districts served the greater Batavia area, including Buel- ter School (District 100) on East Wilson Street, but that is a story for another time. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 Corrections to “Basketball in the Hubbard’s Building”
from the January edition of The Batavia Historian.
Courtesy of George Scheetz
 
Merger: The two school districts—East Batavia, District No. 101, and West Batavia, District No. 102—merged in April 1911 as District No. 101. [The article gave 1910 as the date of merger.]

School Name: West Side School—known by the time of the merger as Central School—was renamed the “Grace McWayne School” in April 1923. The name of this school was changed to “Me Wayne School” in November 1937, in honor of two remarkable teachers, Grace and her sister, Ellen McWayne.

The second school to bear the McWayne name—now the Ministry Center for Bethany Lutheran Church—was dedicated in February 1951 honor of both sisters, Grace and Ellen McWayne, as the “McWayne School.”

Unfortunately, in 2001, Ellen’s name was intentionally dropped from the name of the third McWayne school, which was named the “Grace McWayne School.”

Basketball: The earliest known references (thus far) to basketball teams at East Batavia and West Batavia high schools are November 1905 for boys and December 1904 for girls. For the boys, East Batavia High School played at Geneva High School on Saturday, 18 November 1905. In October 1906, Geneva met “the combined teams of east and west Batavia” in basketball.

According to The Daily Tribune [Batavia, 111.] for Friday, 9 December 1904: “The girls of the [St. Charles] high school will try to show the West Batavia young ladies some hne points about the game of basket ball tomorrow at the St. Charles high school gymnasium.” In November 1905, the Geneva high school girls’ basket ball team defeated the East Batavia team in a score of 7 to 3.

In 1909, the athletic programs of West Batavia and East Batavia high schools were united, though there are records of combined (or “union”) teams in basketball as early as October 1906.
 

 
Eagle Scout reflects on his 1939 award
Submitted by Chris Winter
 
 Submitted with the columnist’s permission, the following article was written by Dave Heim and appeared
in the Daily Herald on December 15, 2012.
 
The hoopla surrounding the day of an Eagle Scout honor fades over time, but not the award itself. Just ask Robert Buchanan, a former Batavia resident who earned his Eagle award in 1939 at Batavia Congregational Church. Buchanan’s Batavia Troop 3 at church was certainly among some of the first chartered in this area, and he eventually went on to military service in World War II, getting wounded but surviving the landing in Normandy.

 9.jpg
All of this was not lost on today’s Batavia Troop 43 of Batavia Congregational Church, which made a point to send a card to Buchanan where he lives in Redlands, Calif., in honor of the 73rd anniversary of his Eagle Scout award on Dec. 2. The Boy Scout troop in Redlands honored Buchanan on his anniversary, when he proudly held his anniversary card from Batavia, while his granddaughter displayed the Batavia Troop 3 charter showing Buchanan’s name.

The Redlands Daily Facts website reported Buchanan, a private first class rifleman in combat in France as a member of 329th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Division, told Redlands Scouts he was wounded during his unit’s invasion on a day in which he found himself as one of “only three men out of 40 who were left.” He was left on the beach wounded for two days with shrapnel in his left leg before the Germans found him. Captured U.S. doctors provided medical help before U.S. soldiers freed him and transported him to England for 16 months of treatment, the website reported. “I had camped as a Scout, so I knew how to care for myself as I lay there on the beach,” Buchanan told the Scouts.

Batavia High School freshman Patrick McDonald, the troop historian and senior patrol leader of Troop 43, initiated the search for history about his troop. After some searching at the Depot Museum, McDonald discovered his church sponsored a Troop 3, and that troop somewhat disappeared as Troop 43 evolved. In a twist, the Scout leaders in Redlands had contacted the Batavia troop around the same time, asking if they had any information on Buchanan and his troop.

The rest is history, with the local troop sending out its well wishes and Buchanan’s amazing story again being told.

Patrick McDonald, a Boy Scout in j Troop 43, came to the Gustafson Research Center last summer to research the history of his troop at the Congregational Church. Through his research we found that Troop 3 at the Congregational Church is the oldest Troop in Batavia; organized in 1913 under the direction of Rev. T.M. Higginbotham. We have troop charters through 1948 listing this troop as Troop 3. Scout Council has records stating that Troop 43 at the Congregational Church was chartered in 1972. What happened to this Troop from 1949-1971? Why did the Troop number change from 3 to 43? I’m hoping that our members might have information to fill in this gap. Were you involved in Boy Scouts at the Congregational Church during this time period? If so, please contact Chris Winter at the Depot Museum, chrisw@batavi- aparks.org or 630-406-5274. Patrick McDonald has generously shared a copy of his Scout research with the museum. It would be great if we could add to this story and share it with this young historian and his Boy Scout Troop for generations to come!
 
 
 
 Illinois and Batavia in the Civil War
Dan Hoefler
 
On hearing the news of Vicksburg’s surrender, President Lincoln declared, “The Father of Waters again goes unvexed to the sea.” Illinois and Batavia played a prominent role in the taking of the last major Confederate stronghold on the Mississippi River. When Vicksburg surrendered on July 4th 1863 the second phase of the Union strategy known as the “Anaconda Plan” was met. The plan devised early in the War by retiring Army Chief of State Winfield Scott called for a blockade of southern ports, taking the Mississippi River and capturing the Southern Capital of Richmond Virginia. Now as the waters flowed freely two thirds of the strategy had been accomplished. Only the taking of Richmond remained in the Eastern theater of war and that objective would soon be undertaken after the conclusion of the other major conflict taking place at the same time in the little crossroads town of Gettysburg Pennsylvania.

The Siege of Vicksburg took place from May 18 - July 4, 1863 Union forces (the Army of the Tennessee) were under the command of Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant. The Confederate Army of Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton had moved into defensive lines surrounding the fortress city of Vicksburg, Mississippi.

Pemberton had the advantage of terrain and fortifications along a defensive network of 6.5 miles that included steep angles and varying elevations for an attacking force to ascend into deadly fire. His greatest disadvantage was that he had only 18,500 troops against the Union forces of 35,000.

During the engagement 20 units of light artillery, 21 units of Calvary and 70 units of infantry participated from Illinois. If you go to the battlefield there are markers placed to designate where the units participated in the battle.
 

15th Illinois Calvary, Company H
(Kane County Independant Calvary)

This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. John M. Thayer’s 1 st Division of Maj. Gen’ls William T. Sherman & Frederick Steele’s XV Army Corps and commanded by Lt. Thomas J. Beebe.

Illinois infantry participated in two major engagements during the siege and they were under the command of General John Logan and attached to James McPherson’s Corp. These troops would take heavy losses but none more so than what happened to the 45th Illinois infantry unit.
10.jpg

Union troops had tunneled under the 3rd Louisiana Redan (a fortification of two parapets at an angle) and packed the mine with 2,200 pounds of gunpowder.
 
The explosion blew apart the Confederate lines on June 25, while an infantry attack made by troops from Logan’s XVII Corps division, followed the blast. The 45th Illinois Regiment (known as the “Lead Mine Regiment” from Galena), was under the command of Col.Jasper Maltby. The 45th charged into the 40-foot (12 m) diameter, 12-foot (3.7 m) deep crater with ease, but were stopped by recovering Confederate infantry.
 
The Union soldiers became pinned down while the defenders also rolled artillery shells with short fuses into the pit with deadly results. Union reinforcements saved the unit from further destruction. This strategy of tunneling would be used in the disastrous and more famous incident at Cold Harbor later in the war.
 
Union casualties for the battle and siege of Vicksburg were 4,835; and Confederate losses were hi,691 (29,495 surrendered). The state of Illinois erected one of the more prominent memorials on the battlefield.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Illinois Memorial
(National Park Service)
 
The Illinois State Memorial is located on Union Avenue at milepost 1.8, tour stop #2 Vicksburg, MS. Dedicated on October 26, 1906, the monument was transferred to the United States by Governor C.S. Deneen and accepted by J. S. Schofield of the United States War Department. It was erected by the firm of Culver Construction Company with William B.
Mundie con- I tracting the designers and sculptors. The design was by W. L. B. Jenney and sculptor was Charles J. Mulligan.
Stone Mountain (GA) granite forms the base and stairway. Above the base is Georgia white marble. There are forty-seven steps in the long stairway, one for each day of the Siege of Vicksburg. Modeled after the Roman Pantheon, the monument has sixty unique bronze tablets lining its interior walls, naming all 36,325 Illinois soldiers who participated in the Vicksburg Campaign. The monument stands sixty-two feet in height, and originally cost $194,423.92, paid by the state of Illinois.
 
Medical Angels: Women in the Civil War
The Batavia Public Library will be hosting “Medical Angels: Women in the Civil War” on September 3, 2013. This session will be series of short presentations by people representing Civil War Women such as Louisa May Alcott, Clara Barton, Kate Cummings, Dorothea Dix, Mother Bickerdyke, and Major Mrs. Arabella “Belle” Macomber Reynolds. Each of these women stepped out of the traditional role for women of the age as they reacted to the war. These women have been chosen for their ingenuity, strength of personality, and resolve not to fit into the traditional 1860’s role dictated by a society controlled by men. After their presentations the public will be engaged in a questions and answer session.
 
Batavia Public Library 7:00 pm
September 3, 2013 Free Event


Batavia Windmill Symposium 2013
Batavia Public Library presents Batavia Windmill Symposium 2013: “Batavia’s Place in Windmill History,” on Saturday, September 14, from 9 am to 5 pm. The symposium examines the significant contributions of Batavia’s windmill industry. Presenters include T. Lindsay Baker, Christopher Gillis, and Bob and Francine Popeck. Dr. Baker will talk about the American windmill story, from the first patent through the decline of the industry in the early twentieth century, and Batavia’s significance in windmill history. His presentation is sponsored by the Batavia Public Library Foundation as the first program in the 2013-2014 season of the Library’s New Lyceum Lecture Series. Mr. Gillis will deliver a presentation about the Aermotor Company, a Chicago company whose origins were in Batavia. The Popecks will discuss the windmill factories’ economic impact on Batavia and the reasons the companies flourished here. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) will present a plaque, declaring Batavia’s windmill collection an ASME landmark, to Mayor Jeffery D. Shielke at 9 a.m. as the symposium’s first event. The symposium is free of charge and open to the public. Registration is required; register by calling (630) 879-1393, ext. 200, or register online, www.BataviaPublicLibrary.org

Batavia Public Library
9:00 am to 5 pm September 14
   
 
 
 News from the Museum
History Returns to Batavia - A Civil War Celebration
September 7-8, 2013
 
This first time event will excite, thrill and engage the citizens of the community.

• Talk with soldiers and civilians in period dress.
• Experience what the “Batavia Boys of 1862-1865” went through as they lived and died during America’s brother vs. brother war.
• Learn about the men from this age who served their country and the types of units that they would have served in,
• Listen to music that kept the soldier grounded in both the battlefield and the home front.
• See and touch actual objects and reproductions of objects from the Civil War at the Batavia Depot Museum.

The “Living History” interpreters will lead you through the past so that you can better understand the war’s impact on Batavia and the Fox Valley. Bring your own dinner and eat with the troops at 6:00 pm on Saturday. Stay to enjoy a free Civil War Music concert at 7:00 pm.
The celebration will be open from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on Saturday and 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on Sunday at the Riverwalk in downtown Batavia. All events are free to the public.
 

 
 From the President
Bob Peterson
 
We hope everyone is having a great time during this wonderful summer. It is nice to report that about 84 members responded to Gary King’s membership request that resulted in $2,365 in past-due dues. We hope more of you will see if your dues are current.
The Batavia Historical Society welcomes the following new members:

Connie Coene
Moline
IL

Don & Lois Craft
Batavia
IL

Barbara Lippold
Naples
FL

Nancy McCall
Geneva
IL

Charmaine Meyers
Aurora
IL

Edward Ottinger
Los Angeles
CA

Thanks also to the following members who upgraded from annual to life membership:

Jerry & Marjorie Branson
Batavia
IL

Richard & Diane Cutlip
Batavia
IL

John & Esther Flodstrom
Nekoosa
WI

John A. Hanson
Dickinson
TX

Diane LaVoy
Batavia
IL

Donn D. & Joan M. Scherer
Batavia
IL

Sheila Stroup
Covington
LA

Mr. & Mrs. Marian Tevis
Maple Grove
MN

Clarence Weirich
Batavia
IL

Greg Wicklund
Geneva
IL

Tom Wicklund
Medford
OR

Thanks to George Sheetz, Director of the Batavia Library, for the July 7th program on the history of the Batavia Library. Thanks also to Bob Nelson for arranging the program.

Mark your calendar for Sunday, October 6th. The Batavia Historical Society will hold its annual meeting at the Batavia City Hall beginning at 2:00 pm followed by another program by George Sheetz. This time he will focus on the annual “Biggest Game of the Season” Batavia Bulldogs vs. Geneva Vikings” in which he talks about the first 100 years of the rivalry, sharing facts and figures that run the gamut from statistical highlights to playing fields, and from athletic conferences to school traditions.

See you on October 6th,
Respectfully,
Bob Peterson
 
 
 

 
 
1.jpg